Aggressive Representation In Divorce Disputes

The actual legal process for getting a divorce varies by state. In Colorado, marital termination proceedings usually include some version of the following components:

  • Petition — The filing of some form of petition document formally initiates divorce proceedings.
  • Summons and response — A formal notice to your spouse about your intent to pursue court action to obtain a legal divorce. The response is his or her acknowledgement that the divorce procedure has begun.
  • Motions — A formal request to the court to order some type of action before the trial. For example, in situations involving domestic abuse, motions for a protective or restraining order are commonly filed.
  • Discovery — The phase of the proceeding where each side gathers information in support of its legal arguments. It is an important phase in contested actions, particularly if you believe your spouse is hiding assets. It includes depositions and interrogatories.
  • Hearings and temporary orders — Sometimes questions or situations need to be temporarily resolved before a final divorce agreement is reached or ordered by the court. For example, if a couple can't agree about where their children should live during the process, they would ask a judge, during a hearing, to decide. Temporary orders generally remain in effect until the final decision is made at the end of the divorce process.
  • Trial — A critical court appearance before a judge where the case will be decided. The trial may include witnesses, friends, financial experts and psychologists, as well as other types of evidence such as financial records.
  • Judgment — The final decision is a judgment. It is not a verdict in the sense that the judge assigns blame to either party. It is simply a legal statement of the judge's rulings on all the issues in question during the trial such as custody, visitation, support and property division.

The Road Is Treacherous. I'll Help Guide You Along It.

There are many pitfalls on the path to divorce. A mistake at any point may affect your relationships with your children or threaten your financial stability.

To speak with an attorney, reach out to my firm. You can call me at 719-475-9994 or arrange an appointment online. With offices in Colorado Springs, I serve throughout El Paso County. Initial consultations are always free.