Marriage And Divorce For Same-Sex Couples

In Colorado, same-sex couples now have the same rights to marry (and divorce) as any other couple. Indeed, our state granted marriage licenses to gay and lesbian couples well before the U.S. Supreme Court recognized such marriages as a fundamental right.

Yet, from a legal standpoint, the field of same-sex family law is still emerging. While many of the benefits and protections of marriage can be easily applied, some situations are unusually complex for same-sex couples. In divorce, for example, matters concerning child custody and asset division often present complications. In such situations, it is important to work with an attorney who can protect your interests and rights.

I can help. I have more than a decade of experience providing legal guidance to all manner of couples in Colorado Springs and the surrounding region. I possess a thorough understanding of family law and am skilled in working with opposing counsel and the local courts to obtain fair and favorable outcomes for my clients.

Who Retains Custody?

When a child is born into a marriage, both parents are considered legal parents. Yet if the child was brought into the marriage by one parent or born into a civil union, it may be quite difficult for the nonbiological or nonadoptive parent to retain custody and visitation rights in a divorce—even if that parent helped raise the child since infancy.

It is almost invariably in the child's best interests for parents to work together and sort out matters concerning legal and physical custody, visitation, child support and related matters on their own. If these matters are left to the courts, the situation can quickly become rancorous and result in the child's emotional imbalance.

My practice is focused on helping couples reach resolution before a judge is given the authority to decide matters for them. I am adept at conducting mediation proceedings and other forms of negotiation, with the ultimate aim of arriving at mutually beneficial agreements.

Legal Support When You Need It Most

If you would like to speak with a lawyer, reach out to my firm. You can call me at 719-475-9994 or arrange an appointment online. Initial consultations are always free, enabling me to assess your situation and inform you of your options before you're obliged to pay.