Mary Kay Kramer, P.C. Attorney at Law
Serving In Colorado Springs And Throughout The Region
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

What do I do if my ex doesn't pay child support?

A court order or court-approved agreement regarding the financial support of a child carries with it important rights and obligations that bind the parties to it to perform certain tasks. For example, in the case of a Colorado child support order, one parent may be bound to pay support to the other parent for the maintenance and care of their shared offspring.

When parents follow the payment terms of their child support orders and agreements, then disputes over the operating documents are generally avoided. But, when a paying parent stops making payments or does not pay their obligation in full, then the parent who receives the support on behalf of the child may seek to compel payments from the other.

When a parent fails to pay child support, enforcement efforts may be taken. While individuals embroiled in child support disputes should look to the terms and conditions of their operating orders and agreements for information on what rights they have for enforcement, the remained of this post will address some of the general ways child support enforcement may be pursued.

One of the most common ways that a parent may have his child support obligation enforced is through his income. In many cases, a paying parent's wages may be garnished. This means their employer takes money out of each paycheck and provides it for the benefit of the child or children for which the support obligation was created. In addition to garnishment, a parent's property may be subjected to liens, their bank accounts may be frozen (so that they cannot access their account funds) or their delinquencies may be reported to the major credit bureaus, which in turn, may affect the parent's credit rating and score.

Non-financial sanctions that may compel enforcement of a child support obligation can include the deferment of a parent's driver's license or professional license, incarceration or a finding of contempt by the court. As raising a child is the shared responsibility of both parents, those adults who are required to pay support to their kids can be compelled to ensure they continue to support their children's best interests. Further inquiries regarding this area of child support law should be taken up with readers' family law attorneys.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Mary Kay Kramer, P.C.
1820 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Phone: 719-362-5113
Phone: 719-475-9994
Fax: 719-447-9732
Map & Directions

Review Us