Mary Kay Kramer, P.C. Attorney at Law
Serving In Colorado Springs And Throughout The Region
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

A lawyer can help both parents with child support issues

After parents have decided to part ways and end a relationship but still must have contact and communication regarding the child, the situation can be notoriously difficult. This is especially true right after the relationship has ended and the couple is in the middle of determining living arrangements and how much child support will be paid. The receiving parent and the paying parent will pay strict attention to this as it can have a profound effect on their lives as well as the life of the child. Understanding how to deal with child support is essential and a legal professional is imperative.

The noncustodial parent who is ordered to pay child support must do so on time and in full. The amount will be based on state guidelines that will adhere to the best interests of the child and the income of the parents. The idea behind the guidelines is to ensure that the child has everything he or she will need. However, it is not ironclad that the guidelines will be the final determinative factor in how much is paid. The court has the right to adjust the amount if it is warranted.

Perhaps a custodial parent is not able to work because he or she is going to school to learn a trade. It might be that the child's needs preclude the parent getting a job or bringing in some level of income. This will be factored when the decision is made as to how much the child support will be. From the noncustodial parent's perspective, they are not immune to the different problems in life such as job loss, medical expenses and other costs that might come up. Failure to pay the required amount of child support can lead to sanctions from the court, so a legal attempt to modify the order - even for a short time - can be done if the circumstances justify it.

In the best-case scenario, both parents will adhere to the parental responsibility and ensure that child support is paid, received and used for its basic mandate: the child's best interests. Sometimes, there are disagreements about child support. Other times, people will have issues making the payments or need more than what the order states they should get. In still others, the payments are not made at all. Regardless of the situation - before or after the child support order has been made - having legal assistance with child support is critical. A lawyer experienced in these matters can help.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Mary Kay Kramer, P.C.
1820 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Phone: 719-362-5113
Phone: 719-475-9994
Fax: 719-447-9732
Map & Directions

Review Us