Mary Kay Kramer, P.C. Attorney at Law
Serving In Colorado Springs And Throughout The Region
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

What if child support issues become interstate or international?

In Colorado child support cases, the circumstances can vary as to how to get a delinquent parent to pay what is owed to be current on the payments. If they are living in Colorado, there are steps that the state can take to get the payments even if it means garnishing wages or suspending driver's licenses. However, when the parent has moved out of the state or even out of the country, the custodial parent might not know what to do to get the child support that is owed. Since parental responsibility and the child's best interests are so important, it does not end when the supporting parent leaves the state or moves out of the U.S. Understanding how the state will deal with this is critical to getting the payments.

If the parent has left the state, every state in the U.S. is adherent to federal regulations for child support. The enforcement will likely be the same everywhere. It is important to remember that enforcement from one state to the other can be complicated. If the noncustodial parent is outside of Colorado, the specific child support enforcement unit will try to settle the matter with its counterpart in the state the parent lives in. On average, it takes three months to open a case in a separate state. The amount of time it will take for the money to be paid, the details of the child support order, and what the other state can do will vary. The parent who has fled Colorado to avoid paying child support can face federal prosecution.

If it is an international case, it must be handled by federal entities. Another country will take part in enforcing an order of child support should the U.S. have reciprocity with that country. For foreign countries and provinces, the U.S. has such a relationship with 26 of them for child support. It is important for parents to deal with their specific county to handle a case in which the noncustodial supporting parent has left the U.S.

Because child support is so crucial to a child's upbringing and development, it must be paid. Unfortunately, there are would-be supporting parents who take extreme steps to avoid making these payments such as leaving the state or even leaving the U.S. Having legal assistance from a law firm that is cognizant of child support issues interstate and internationally can be a major help in pursuing those payments no matter where the supporting parent is.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Mary Kay Kramer, P.C.
1820 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Phone: 719-362-5113
Phone: 719-475-9994
Fax: 719-447-9732
Map & Directions

Review Us