Mary Kay Kramer, P.C. Attorney at Law
Serving In Colorado Springs And Throughout The Region
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

Seek a custody modification to spend more time with your kids

One of the most frightening considerations in divorce is the fact that the courts will have control of splitting up your parental rights and responsibilities. This means that someone else will influence how much time you get to spend with your kids.

Between the uncertainty and the horror stories about custody outcomes that many people share, it is common to worry about the potential outcome of your divorce. Some people may become quite depressed about the prospect of losing custody and fail to adequately advocate for themselves as a parent.

It is also possible that, at the time of your divorce, you were going through a rough patch. Now, you have your life back on track and your ex wants to spend more time with your kids. You likely have the option of seeking a custody modification that will let you spend more time with them.

The courts usually prefer a fair split of parental rights and responsibilities

The Colorado family courts don't really talk about custody anymore. Instead, the term they use is parental rights and responsibilities. As a parent, you have an obligation to provide the basic necessities of life to your child. From a home and food to an education and health care, there are many needs a child has that the parents have a responsibility to meet.

Parents also have a right to be part of the child's life and to make decisions about their child's health, religion and education. The courts choose the best way to split up the rights and responsibilities of parents between both spouses in a divorce. Usually, both spouses share in both rights and responsibilities. That means shared parenting time, shared decision-making authority and, potentially, an order to pay child support.

However, sometimes the court makes a decision that favors one parent over the other. If that happened in your case, you likely have a right to seek a modification and to hopefully spend more time with your children.

How a modification helps

In order to change the allocation of parental rights, you have to ask the courts to change the original order they created. Presenting evidence of your positive relationship with the kids, or of your attempts to improve and stabilize your life, will help convince the courts that such a change would be in the best interests of your children.

There can be a lot of paperwork and documentation required to secure a modification after a Colorado divorce. For that reason, working with an attorney can benefit parents who want to spend more time with their children. It can let you stay focused on your life, instead of on court proceedings.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Mary Kay Kramer, P.C.
1820 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Phone: 719-362-5113
Phone: 719-475-9994
Fax: 719-447-9732
Map & Directions

Review Us