719.475.9994
Mary Kay Kramer, P.C. Attorney at Law
Serving In Colorado Springs And Throughout The Region
Menu / Navigate
Secondary Nav

What is the income shares model for Colorado child support?

Child support is often one of the most contested aspects of a divorce. When the parents have parted ways, it is imperative that the child's best interests be served. A significant part of that is the financial upkeep of the child. Calculating how much will be paid should be understood as a fundamental part of the case. Of course, shared responsibility is critical, but there are certain terms that should be known. One is income shares. As with any family law situation, having legal help might be essential.

The basic theory in the state is that the child should receive the same support he or she would get if the parents were still together. Income shares refers to the amount of the combined incomes of the parents that the child will be entitled to. To come to a number that will be paid, there will be a computed amount using the incomes earned by both parents.

There will then be an amount assigned based on the percentages for each parent. Certain costs will be added. This will include medical coverage and other expenses. These will then be divided among the parents and the amount will be reached. Parental responsibilities are factored in with the child support determination.

The monthly gross income of the parents should be added together. If there is a new marriage or live-in relationship with one or both former spouses, the income of that person should not be added to the total. When calculating the gross income, wages, salary, pensions, workers' compensation, unemployment, Social Security and other payments will be considered.

With the total, the parents should consult a table that will give them the basic amount they will need to pay. Once there is an amount, the parents will divide it based on income shares. For example, a parent who earns 55 percent of the income will pay 55 percent of the child support. The other parent will pay 45 percent.

Other factors should be considered with the child support obligation including extraordinary medical expenses. Those with high incomes or low incomes will not be subject to these guidelines.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free consultations

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Contact

Mary Kay Kramer, P.C.
1820 West Colorado Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80904

Phone: 719-362-5113
Phone: 719-475-9994
Fax: 719-447-9732
Map & Directions

Review Us